Friday, March 13, 2009

Slowing down...a bit!

Mike and I found ourselves at the doctor's office again today after the results of my urine collection and blood work were in. We learned that they were pleased with my results and that I am maintaining a very healthy pregnancy. With that being said, they want me to continue to maintain a healthy pregnancy and my blood pressure spiking a bit has warranted them to put me on a restricted activity plan. They have ruled out preeclampsia at this point, but with the elevation in my blood pressure they don't want to take any chances. When you have preeclampsia they say that the blood pressure reading will not go down once it has gone up, in my case once I take a deep breath and count to 10 and they recheck it, it goes down, which is very encouraging.

I am still able to work...from home and still run a few errands, have a dinner out here and there, everything in moderation. It is by no means a chained to the bed, bed rest situation, it is precautionary so we don't run into any problems as we get closer and closer to delivering the baby. When she was talking about limiting my activity she realized that I was getting anxious and reassured me that this is not something to be concerned about, that again, they are just wanting to give me the best odds of not having that blood pressure start to climb and not come back down which in turn could put either me or the baby into an unfavorable situation.

I was alarmed at first, but as we talked through the situation with the doctor again and again, I came to realize how lucky we are to have a doctor that is really looking out for what is best for both me and the baby. This is by no means a terrible situation and one we can deal with very easily, I am thankful for the ability to keep working so I can stay busy...otherwise I would be scaling the walls by day 4!

They have also determined that they will induce us if we haven't gone already when we are 37 weeks, so we will for sure be at least 3 weeks earlier than our due date of May 5th. This also freaked me out a little, but the doctor said that at 37 weeks they are considered full term and at that point the babies are just putting on pounds and inches, so as long as she is hefty enough they are going to go ahead and schedule an induction around the week of April 13th. We need to get ourselves in gear and get some things done before that week arrives...it is definitely forcing us to prepare a little faster than we thought, but we are excited to know she will be joining us in the very near future...right about 4 weeks!

Mike is already practicing his Dad skills and will make sure that I obey the doctor's orders 100%...no worries there! We will still be out and about here and there, but we will just have to make some adjustments to how much and how fast we go all the time, in the long run I know it will be good for us all and it is good practice since you shouldn't be going like crazy with a newborn!

We are both so thankful to know that everyone is happy and healthy and that we have a great team of medical professionals looking after us...we much rather be proactive than reactive. It isn't exactly what we expected, but we are okay with how everything is proceeding and have faith in the fact that everything happens for a reason.

No comments: